Its 2020!

The end of December and winter break came & went way too fast.  Fortunately, I was able to spend some much needed time with family and friends over the holiday and New Year's celebrations because before I knew it, the winter semester had begun.

Adjusting to life in New Orleans continue to get easier and things become more comfortable each day.  As an introvert, I push myself to get out of the house at times.  I've found that it's easiest for me to do this when it comes to exploring the outdoors and trying new fitness activities, so I've joined a gym and started taking my dog to the park more often.  One of the places that I've really come to enjoy is City Park.  It's a beautiful park with lots of trees, sitting areas, walking paths and even a Cafe du Monde :) It also doesn't hurt that the "winter weather" here feels more like late Spring/early Summer, which encourages me to get out as well.

Academically, this semester is gearing up to be challenging, but I'm looking forward to several things.  Unlike the fall, this semester is much heavier on reading, critical thinking and analysis, as well as the discussion of our reading materials.  I'm enjoying this because as a learner, I gain more from interactive discussions and being challenged to think critically, beyond what I've just read.  I've also found that our classroom discussions are much more lively this semester, which also helps to keep me and others engaged. 

In addition to the classroom work, I'm also looking forward to taking in new volunteer experiences and studying for the MCAT and overall continuing onward towards medical school.  Next month, I've signed up to be a judge a science fair for local junior high and high school students.  This is my second time doing something like this, and as a nerd, I'm very excited.  Growing up, I loved science  but I never attended a school that held science fairs, and so I'm really excited to not just participate but also see what the students have developed. 

Next month will also bring another first for me, Mardi Gras! New Orleans is growing on me, and I am excited to see how the city celebrates.

Comments

Popular Posts