October Update

A just like that...October is nearly done.  It has truly flown by.  In this month, I have faced many challenges, academically and personally, that have contributed to my growth this month.

As a "non-traditional" student and having been out of school for several years, I've really had to unlearn the study habits that worked for me as an undergraduate, and learn new study habits that work for me now, as a graduate student. 

In one of our first lectures, Dr. Clarkson introduced us to a book specifically about teaching yourself how to learn.  It included many anecdotes, but most important was its guidance about preparing yourself and executing the necessary steps to maximize your learning.  I've been applying these study tips, reforming new habits for studying and this has really served me well over the past month.  I'm hopeful to continue building on these study habits for both now and in the future, in medical school.

In addition to improving my study habits and optimizing my time, I have also had the opportunity to become more involved in the local New Orleans community.  This month, I volunteered with the United Negro College Fund, participating in their 32nd annual Walk/Run for Education at the Audubon Park.  We began early in the morning, setting up booths and tables for the sponsors and assembling registration packets for the runners and walkers.  There was an excellent turnout that included local celebrities, families, athletes ranging from elementary school children to senior citizens, and just overall supporters of the UNCF and its worthy cause. It was a busy and exciting time, but as a recipient of UNCF scholarships during my undergraduate years, I was very grateful for the opportunity to give back. 

In November, I look forward to continuing my community service, and getting further acquainted with New Orleans and the many events around the city. 






Total volunteer hours: 6


Comments

Popular Posts