It's hard to believe that only a month ago, I set off from Washington, DC to pursue the wonderful and challenging opportunity that is the Tulane University's Master's in Pharmacology program. 
My first month in New Orleans has left me full of experiences, and feeling like I am well on my way to getting more adjusted and making this city feel like my second home. 

Having only moved down to NOLA two days before classes started, I didn't have much time to do the usual orientation, getting ID badges, touristing and acclimating to the city, etc.  Also coming from the East coast, I was unsure of how quickly I would be able to adjust from my "go! go! go!" attitude, to the "Big Easy" temperament that flows throughout this city.  From sharing spaces in a shotgun-style home, to finally enjoying my first beignets (no I didn't wear black...), I feel like I've begun to adjust to life here.

Just like life here, classes have been an adjustment as well.  Going from the daily rigmarole of working 9-5, to actively engaging and learning about (what feels like) all there is to know about pharmacology, has been an adjustment as well.  The field of pharmacology is vast, and there is much to learn with little time in between, but thankfully the topics are interesting and as I've learned already, the lessons can easily be applied to real-life situations.  One of our professors, Dr. Lindsey, noted during one of the first days that we'd soon be able to identify not only the names and effects of many drugs we see at the pharmacy, but also figure out how to get the most bang for our buck when we go :)  After a bout with local NOLA allergens and an allergy-induced sinus infection early on in the semester, I'm pleased to admit that she was right.  I have a new appreciation for the second generation antihistamines and antibiotics that helped me pull through.

The last month has been full of learning - both in life and even moreso academically.  I'm looking forward in the coming month to starting my community service work and further integrating myself  as a resident of this beautiful city. 

Comments

Popular Posts